Friday, September 5, 2008

The economic crisis hits pseudo-employed brooklyn.

The week before last as I climbed into the Navigator of one of the young men sent to meet me on a corner and deliver one of my favorite South American exports, I hear “$25 now,” Uh what? I am used to the tradition of handing over 4 twenty-dollar bills and getting 6 baggies. So uhm, what do I get for $100 now?

“Four.”

Uh, so how much can I get for $120?

Feeble math on both sides ensues, ending with the realization that I, as life should have shown me by now, will get nothing free. By this point another patron has joined us in the backseat and is equally disappointed that 2 will now cost him $50.

I am informed that I will be immediately informed when the price goes back down, and that I am always remembered (just like the entirely of Brooklyn that slides in and out of said Navigator and variety of other vehicles!)

In the meantime, I remain amused that the economic downturn has finally affected me. What? I don’t drive, I buy a bare minimum of groceries, and have no dependents (unless cats count) what’d you expect?

No comments: